Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Today Naomi is 5 months old. It is amazing to me how much has happened in those 5 months, and how incredibly fast the time has gone by. Things just keep moving, keep changing - I want to stop and catch my breath, press 'pause' like I do when a movie is getting too intense and I need a moment to process. I never imagined that this was how I would feel as a mother - the blissful agony of watching a life unfold before you, delighting in every 'first', every evidence of growth, and yet mourning the change, knowing that something precious and irreplaceable has been lost. I didn't know that I would be reluctant for her to move from the cradle in our room into the crib in the nursery, or that I would not want to replace even one nursing session with cereal. I never dreamed that I would cry the first Sunday that we put her in the church nursery (we haven't done it yet, but I get a lump in my throat just thinking about it!). I am excited for Naomi to grow up, to watch as her personality blossoms, as she gains independence and individuality - and I knew that I would have worries along the way - I just didn't know that the changes themselves would make me simultaneously so sad and proud.
Quote for the day: "There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in." Leonard Cohen

1 comments:
Rachel - it almost looks like he was contemplating putting her in the cage. I hope you were close by.
Post a Comment