Thursday, September 11, 2008
Yesterday I met a friend and her son at Paulus's Farm Market to visit the animals. It was Naomi's first experience with chickens, ducks, goats, sheep, pigs and rabbits. She stared at the chickens (especially when the roosters crowed) and observed the goats and pigs from a distance. She wanted to touch the bunnies, but her hands are too often in her mouth for me to be comfortable with that yet! I was fascinated by the billy goat (with a beard and everything!) and the pigs - I really don't have much up-close and personal experience with farm animals. Pigs' tails are really very bizarre - thick and curly, cute but incongruous, because these pigs were not cute Wilbur-type pigs. They were big and brown and hairy.
After we watched the animals for a little while, I got some fruit, vegetables and flowers, and resolved to visit the local markets more often. The produce is so much better than what you get at the grocery store, and really very reasonably priced. And I enjoyed the shopping experience much more - no fluorescent lights or crowds of people milling through aisles with boxes upon boxes of processed foods!



0 comments:
Post a Comment