History and Socks

Thursday, November 6, 2008

I thought I should post something, since it's been a couple of days - and then I thought that I should in some way mark the historic occasion of the election of an African-American man as our president. That, in and of itself, is a wonderful thing. No matter whom you voted for, I think we should acknowledge the healing that this brings, as we as a country strive to truly move past the deep wounds from our racial oppression. And I pray that Obama will prove to be more than a figurehead. This election was a very difficult one for me - I don't really want to get into the politics, but suffice it to say, my "European tendencies" (as my dad would say :) struggled with some of my deeply held convictions. The convictions won, and there are some scary prospects with the coming of this new administration - but I wanted to take a moment to recognize what I think is also great good.Enough politics (can I just say, I really hate politics, anyway?)! I had my second sock class last night - yay!! I know it sounds a little bit crazy to be knitting socks, of all things - but I have heard that handknitted socks are sooo comfortable and so much better than commercial socks, so I am trying it for myself. And thus far, I am really enjoying it - sock construction is very clever; it feels like a magic trick when you "turn the heel" (make the little cup of fabric in which your heel sits), and the yarn makes a spiral stripe pattern all on its own! I could go on, but I know that if you don't knit, it is probably not very interesting at all. But I am having fun! And it was nice to be out of the house, interacting with other people, doing something just for me, and not worrying about the baby! Because somehow, even after she goes to bed and I have time to myself in the evening, I still feel the weight of responsibility and in the back of my mind I am thinking either about all the things around the house I should be doing, or listening to her sigh in her sleep, wondering if she is too hot or too cold, if her nose is too stuffed up... I love being a mommy! I really do, no sarcasm intended - not least because it makes me intentional about other aspects of my life and I appreciate them more.

0 comments:

 
Light-Post - by Templates para novo blogger