Friday, October 10, 2008
The past week has been a momentous one in the Lightner household: I have a whole list of firsts to record for Naomi. This past Friday, she had her first solid food (rice cereal, which is only a baby step away from liquid...) Adorned in the bib I had made for the occasion, and sitting in her new high chair (which I really, really like), she made the requisite faces, but seemed to like it (at least, she kept eating it!)
Then on Saturday, her first tooth broke through her little pink gums! This has led to Naomi sticking out her tongue more frequently, as she explores these strange protuberances in her mouth. :)
Sunday was her first time in the church nursery without Mommy and Daddy (we had taken her to get signed up the week before - they let us go in to the room with her then and play a little). She seemed to do fine - they give the parents a pager in case their child is crying inconsolably, and she did not need us until the end of the service (by which time she was quite hungry). It was the first sermon I got to hear all the way through from start to finish since Naomi was born - she always either gets restless or needs to nurse at some point during the service. That is not to say that I wasn't distracted, however. I kept wondering whether the nursery staff would pick up on her hunger cues (she doesn't cry/fuss until she is really very hungry), whether they would have to change her diaper (if so, would they use the right diapers/wipes/leg-lifting technique?), whether she was going to be overwhelmed, whether she was having a good time... I don't think it was too stressful for her, but it was very stressful for me! I was relieved when we were back at home and could put her down for a quiet nap. But I know she needs the social interaction, and I want her immune system to get a headstart on the cold season!
Monday she got her second tooth, and between the teething and the onset of what may be a little separation anxiety (she is starting to notice the difference between when Mommy and Daddy are in the room with her, and when they are not...), sleep schedules (hers and therefore mine) have been off this week. But overall, this week was one in which I reflected on the joy of motherhood and just how much I am loving being at home with Naomi.

0 comments:
Post a Comment