Tuesday, April 28, 2009
"Sorrow leaks into your heart through a pinhole
Just like a faucet that leaks, and there is comfort in the sound.
But while you debate 'Half empty or half full?'
It slowly rises; your love is gonna drown."
Death Cab for Cutie, "Marching Bands of Manhattan" from 'Plans'
I have been listening to this cd in our new (to us) car (!), and I like this chorus a lot. I don't really know the words to the rest of the song; out of context this bit of poetry is more meaningful to me. I like the imagery, and the ideas ring true; there is comfort in the rhythm of a patient sorrow, but if left to collect, closed off, unacknowledged, unshared, it can become overwhelming and all-encompassing, drowning out other more beautiful things. Don't worry, I don't feel this way myself. But there have been times when sorrow has leaked in; yet instead of drowning my love, love has risen to the top, floating on the tide. I think this is because a greater Love surrounds the whole, containing my heart, the dripping sorrow and the love-boats of my relationships.

0 comments:
Post a Comment