"January - Let's start the year off riiiight." (to the tune of Calendar Girl)

Thursday, January 8, 2009

Check out that hat hair! And that is Naomi's latest "playful face" - when she is happy/excited, she makes that face and tilts her head back. :)
First, some Christmas pics:
(She is smiling in this one! :)

A little bemused by all the Christmas morning excitement...

Grand-Papa being silly!
Poor little girl wouldn't take a nap the whole morning, and was getting pretty tired out. Mimi tried to settle her to cuddle, but what you can't see in this picture is my baby's squirming frustration...
She finally was able to zone out resting against Gramps' legs.
And of course, she was spoiled by everyone! :)
Happy New Year! I have been meaning to post for about a week now, but just haven't managed to find the time. I have a moment to relax now, and Adam is out celebrating a friend's birthday, so I can sit quietly and write a bit. Not that I can't write when Adam is home, but our pattern for the past few evenings has been to put Naomi to bed, eat dinner and then play 'Little Big Planet' on the Playstation3 until I am tired of it, at which point I knit while watching Adam perfect the levels that we started (it is a really fun, innovative and clever game - there are not many that I will play for any length of time, but this one I really enjoy. And it is kid-friendly, at least in the beginning levels). Sometimes I take a bath and read, (I also lately discovered how much I enjoy reading novels written in the 40s and 50s, particularly by D.E. Stevenson) which has been a wonderful way to unwind. I read during Naomi's nap today, though, so instead I am catching up on the latest headlines and writing my own.

8 MONTH OLD GIRL CUTS TWO (MORE) FRONT TEETH!
(Pictures coming soon.)

NEWLY RELOCATED GRANDMOTHER COLLAPSES ON NEW YEAR'S EVE!! (Diagnosis: stress and dehydration. She is recovering well, and hosted us all for a New Year's dinner, the traditional lamb and black-eyed peas, this past Sunday.)

BUSY BABY BEGINS TO CRAWL?
(Given the right motivation, she can move on her elbows like a soldier through the jungle. At least, not having ever seen a soldier move through the jungle, I think it could be termed an "army-crawl.")

KNITTER COMPLETES FIRST PAIR OF SOCKS!
WILL THE LIGHTNER CHRISTMAS CARDS MAKE IT OUT IN TIME FOR VALENTINE'S??
(
The New Year's deadline proved overly optimistic...)

WHAT?!? 2009 ALREADY??

Well, now that's out of my system... I hope this January finds everyone healthy and happy. I am struck by the somewhat arbitrary nature of this calendar shift: the only thing that separates December 31st from January 1st is our man-made designation of it. Still, it is nice to have a formal "fresh start", a point at which we can pause and reflect on the past year, and look ahead with anticipation. Although this year, I have not really paused, and 2008 was such a whirlwind it seemed too short to really be a full year. Still, I look forward to the year ahead. I resonate with what another blogger wrote (a woman I have never met, and probably never will, but whose blog is artistic and sometimes poetic): "For the first day of the year [] no resolutions. Only desires to make a conscious effort to re-establish things I lost along the way. No lists. No promises. Just eager desire. Paving a way for the year to open up choices, and for those choices to be taken."

0 comments:

 
Light-Post - by Templates para novo blogger