Tuesday, January 20, 2009
I wanted to find a picture that would be worth those thousand words today - this was taken by a friend of mine while he was in Israel, and sent to me shortly before Naomi's due date, almost exactly nine months ago. It is written on the wall in Bethlehem (near Rachel's Tomb) dividing Israel from Palestine.
As I watched the Inauguration Ceremony today, I knew I was witnessing an historic event. But I did not expect to be moved as deeply as I was. A little piece of God's justice was served up to us today - His righteousness vindicating generations of oppressed, marginalized citizens. The election of President Obama is not in itself bringing God's kingdom to earth (although I fervently pray that His will be done in our country), but it symbolizes what God's kingdom will be: a place where all people are given the same grace, the same love, and the same judgment. One more man-made obstacle has been removed from the path of my child, my neighbor's child - no one can say that the color of their skin precludes them from doing what they want to do.

1 comments:
Rachel-
Did Bryce take this? It is an amazing picture. A good one for today.
Miss you,
Linn
Post a Comment